Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Word Count

Word Counts ~ Novel vs Novella ~ YA vs Fiction ~ Word Counts

There are so many sites out there with information on how many words a novel should be or a novella or a young adult book, but what about a young adult novella?

Here's the dilemma - I have a young adult book that is currently 35,000 words. Once I'm finished, it should be closer to 40,000. The story is fine the way it is. I think it flows well. If I have to get it to 40,000-50,000 to be considered a good young adult length, I'll have to add fluff. And well, too much fluff, is just that - FLUFF! I don't want to put a whole bunch of nothing in my book just to get it to the right word count.

What do do? What to do? Does it matter? Does it really matter if a book is a little shorter than normal? Would some of you rather read a book with more fluff just so that it's the proper length? Mmmm... decisions.

3 comments:

  1. Whoever is reading the book won't realize that there aren't "enough" words. They WILL realize if it drags along because of unnecessary content. Just my way of thinking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm thinking. Glad I'm not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't want fluff. A lot of times I'll read a book and say, "I could have done without that entire page." I agree with Kristin, I don't really notice when a book is a little shorter.

    If I were you, I'd do another edit and see if there are any plot holes, or if there is a scene that could use a little more description. You don't have to fluff, but you can polish.

    ReplyDelete